Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Witnessing "History in the making"



After 3 years in America, everyday is a unique surprise, sometimes worrisome but mostly survivable. Today, on this historical election day on November 4th 2008 I saw nothing but outpouring of support for this election from the American people. They were out on the streets in the pouring rain, standing on the side walks with banners and posters on every street corner encouraging citizens to vote, no matter how long the lines are or in rain or shine. After finishing my work at the Alexandria city hall, I drove around town to get to another location on Columbia Pike to finish another meeting. I felt encouraged to see many people with "I Voted today" stickers on their shirts and t shirts. They all looked proud and happy that they became a part of this revolutionary day in American history. Possibilities are endless, America might elect its first African American President who is advocating and inspiring millions for change, or maybe elect a War Hero who fought for his country for many years. People on the road stooped me to ask If I had voted or not, my answer to most of them was, "I'm on my way". I didn't want to disappoint their happy faces, but technically, being a permanent resident here in the United Sates, I am on my way to vote, probably for the first time in my life, but that would happen in 2016, according to my calculations. But for now, we are simply feeling, observing and learning, how important it is for a country to have informed and educated electoral, for any kind of democracy to work. lets see what happens at the end of the day.

Like they say during election season... Power to the people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Imran Siddiqui's Facebook profile